Friday, March 7, 2014

Modern Day Griot Theater Company - See, Hear, Taste and Touch

My experience with this company was not good at all.  In fact, I would put this one in the Ugly category.  I sent them one of my plays and Liza Bulos, the Managing Producer emailed me to say she would like to mount the play, but that she would like to "cut some lines - to accommodate timing, etc."   I said, "I'm happy to shorten it if you need me to, and if it's a foul language issue, I will accommodate that for you as well."   She informed me that there was still time to pull the play if her doing the editing was an issue.  I was inexperienced at the time and wanted my plays performed in New York, so I let her make the changes.  I asked her to please run them by me first, but she did not.  I went to see the production, and not only had she cut lines, she had also changed lines and had reassigned lines from one character to the other.   The play made no sense at all and was awful.   I was embarrassed , and extremely upset at what she had done.  Thankfully, the whole thing happened in Brooklyn, where no one important came to see it.  I'm sure other playwrights have had good experiences with this company, but based on my experience, sadly I strongly recommend against submitting to this company if you care about your plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment